Welly Fabric Hoarders

Morsbags HomeForumswelcome new podsWelly Fabric Hoarders

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by offcuts offcuts 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    wenznz
    wenznz
    Participant

I came here via a google search for a shopping bag pattern to use up some fabric I am wanting to re-purpose.
    I had a good look around the site, and am incredibly impressed with the idea of giving away free bags to battle the war on plastic.

I signed up right away, ordered my labels, and cut and prepared my first four bags.
    Just as soon as those labels arrive, I’ll pop them on, sew up the side seams and add them to my tally!!

My initial plan is to make up 15 to give away at a sewing retreat I am attending, and then see if any of the other participants want to join my pod. Yippee!!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Sounds like a fab idea, Wenznz! You may well be able to recruit old or new friends to join you. 😀

I keep a list of new pods and those pods that add bags to share every month and had just noticed that you’d joined. I’m so glad you came to the forum to say hello!

Did you know that the pod that joined before you is also in NZ? (Te Awa Pod) I’d been wondering if there had been a magazine article or mention somewhere that had sparked interest locally to you.

Enjoy your sewing retreat!! 😀

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Happy bagging wenznz 🙂

Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

Hi wenznz
    I haven’t heard of a retreat for sewing before, it sounds wonderful. How long do you hold it for, one day, one week?
    Happy bag making.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Agwen, I think it might be New Zeasland! But I agree it would be a great idea. We should do it. I remember Pol and I tried to ‘win’ a week in a landmark Trust building for a week and our plan was to have morsbaggers dropping in. Unfortunately we didn’t win!

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant
    beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Mmmm Abinger – I used to go Youth Hostelling around there – not far from Holmbury St. Mary and Ewhurst Green. Happy days…. 😀

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

This is a bit more upmarket than a youth hostel!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I noticed!! 😉

wenznz
    wenznz
    Participant

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Beattie, I am not aware of any particular promotion of Morsbags in New Zealand publications, though ‘Plastic Free July’ does seem to be getting a lot of Facebook time at the moment, so that may be pushing people to look into alternative options and toward the Morsbags site.

Agwen, our sewing retreat is a residential weekend where we pack up all our sewing machines and equipment and sew uninterrupted for the weekend. The place we are going is out in the bush, and usually hosts yoga retreats. They provide all our meals and a nice big airy space to sew.
    Last time we went, the retreat hosts had a wee giggle as we dragged all our sewing stuff in from the cars – not their usual guests 😉

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Sounds fantastic!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Sounds lovely Wenznz. I think Offcuts may be onto something, though Goddards looks a bit ritzy to me! 🙂

Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

Thank you for the info wenznz, hope you all have a lovely time.
    Yes beattie, Goddards does look a bit ritzy, but spending the time just sewing with all meals provided sounds wonderful.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

And its inspirational. We love arts and crafts furniture/decor. Yes meals provided would be good. In that case I think it would have to be a hotel. I think we deserve ritzy!!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I get worried with ritzy joints – sewing machines often leave scratches in my experience. Certainly the old ones have scratchy bottoms! I’d hate to wreck an arts & crafts table 🙁 At least Goddards looked as if it has nice easily swept hard floors, rather than carpets that hold every thread. Especially in the skittle alley…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.