Can Charity Shop Sell Morsbags in exchange for fabric

Morsbags HomeForumswhy you shouldn’t sell morsbagsCan Charity Shop Sell Morsbags in exchange for fabric

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cranleigh Villages 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cranleigh Villages
    Participant

I’m new to this – just trying to put things together. I’ve approached a local charity shop to ask for unwanted curtains, sheets, fabric etc. I’ve said I will give them Morsbags to hand out to their customers. Are they allowed to sell them?

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Hi there Cranleigh Villages! It’s a great idea to see if a local charity shop can let you have unwanted materials to make into morsbags. We’ve had this discussion from time to time in the past and the consensus is that No, they should not sell morsbags, even if the charity is a fabulous one, doing marvellous work.

If someone who receives a free morsbag wants to contribute (and feeling guilty about getting something for nothing is a common reaction) they can be invited to donate more fabric or thread to help with stock for morsbagging, or suitable items for the charity shop to sell.

It is surprising how the difference in the transaction if you’re given a free bag, as opposed to buying a bag or giving a donation for one, impacts the recipient’s feeling about it. I use it to emphasise how I’ve put the effort into making the bag and giving it away, and what I’d like them to do is use it and not just leave it lying idle.

By the way, it can be surprising how many morsbags you can get out of a modest amount of everyday fabric. A single duvet cover will make 9 morsbags, a double will make 12 and a king sized duvet cover will make 16 or so. It’s a brilliant design, being economical on fabric and simple to make.

Some links to previous discussions –

Why you shouldn't sell morsbags

Using morsbags for my business

Have fun making morsbags and giving them away! 😀

Cranleigh Villages
    Participant

Thank you – will see where we can go with them, although they’ve not replied to my email or telephone messages from last week so it may be a non-starter!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.