Library Bags for Kids

Morsbags HomeForumsmorsbag chatLibrary Bags for Kids

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Krisaby Krisaby 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

After bagging our local library I was asked by the librarian to make book bags for the new year one students. Apparently they go to the library regularly and were given sturdy red plastic bags for the books they checked out. The children often lost their bags since they all looked the same. Now the librarian would like some morsbags instead and I have so much fun making them all look different: Different handles, applique on the front, etc.
    They are collecting donated fabric at the library an the librarian gave me some money for thread. Together we figured out what measurements would be ideal for these relatively small people who take out relatively big books:
    91cmx38cm (36″ x 15″) or beachtote style 76cmx45,5cm (30″x18″). Of course I fold the fabric along the long sides.
    So, by September I need to have 100 bags ready.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

You’re doing sooo well, Gudrun! I’m really pleased you and the librarian figured out sizes that will suit the children and the books they’ll be carrying around. 😀

You have about 13 weeks before the bags are needed, assuming term starts early in September, so 8 bags a week should see you on target! You can do it, I see you’ve made 222 bags in the 7 weeks since you registered a pod. 😀

Way to go, Gudrun!! 😀

masterclock
    masterclock
    Participant

Great to encourage reading, and what could be better than a “Special” book bag.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

We have a lady in our pod who is librarian at Leicester Grammar School. She has made morsbags for all the children when they start which may be as young as 3. The children call her Mrs Jean. Here are some pupils with their morsbags

DSCF0637

and one of their displays in the library

DSCF0593

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

The parents send in all the material for the bags

Tarragon
    Tarragon
    Participant

What a great idea!

> 91cmx38cm (36″ x 15″) or beachtote style 76cmx45,5cm (30″x18″). Of course I > fold the fabric along the long sides.

So is that a bottom or side fold?
    And what’s “beachtote style”?

As you can guess, I’m new to this lark 😀

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I understood Gudrun to mean that she uses both these measurements for the fabric, with a bottom fold for all of them, so some come out “normal” style, i.e. shopping bag style so the bag is longer than it is wide and others come out “beachtote” style, i.e. it is wider than it is long.

These bags that Sazzie made are beachtote style –

morsbags 012

If you took the fabric that would make a beachtote bag if it has a bottom fold and made it with a sidefold instead you’d have a normal bag. Your choice! Sometimes you want to keep the pattern the right way up on both sides of the bag, which is what we discussed a few days ago, and where sidefold bags come into their own. 😀

Hope this helps!

BTW, I love the photos of Mrs Jean’s pupils and their bags, Offcuts! 😀 Getting the parents to source the material is a great idea = lots of lovely patterns!

Tarragon
    Tarragon
    Participant

Aha – like portrait and landscape!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Oh, yes! 😀 Of course! Wish I’d thought of that analogy! Derr.. *rolls eyes at self*
    That’s it exactly, Tarragon! 😀

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

What a splendid array of bags! It’s good to get children interested and I bet they enjoy the sense of achievement at making a bag. I’d say that is another winner Offcuts!

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

And, of course, well done to Gudrun too but we have to wait until September to get the pictures of the triumphant baggers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.