How to store a folded morsbag

Morsbags HomeForumsvariations on a morsbagHow to store a folded morsbag

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by beattie beattie 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tarragon
    Tarragon
    Participant

Does anyone have a way to incorporate a pocket/fastener/flap/tie/whatever into a morsbag design, to be used to keep the bag neat and folded when not in use?

I usually use a small rubber band around a folded and rolled morsbag, but inevitably lose it at some point, hence my request for an integrated solution. I’ve had a few ideas but thought I’d ask the group about your experiences before I try to reinvent the wheel.

Looking forward to reading all your ideas 🙂

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

I found this Tarragon

(i know it isn’t a morsbag but I think it would work)

IMG_2590

fold

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Wheels already invented 😉 –

1) I’ve made bags with an integrated pocket sewn onto the inside top folded over seam, so it dangled inside – could hold your shopping list when bag is unfolded. Sorry, can’t find a photo, I’ve changed computers.

2) I made a bag that folds into an outside patch pocket –

'Indian summer' bag - open

I got the idea from one of those rainproofs that folds into a pocket on the front.

3) Ivybags did instructions on how to make a morsbag that fits into an integrated minibag on the old website. The instructions are here –
    https://morsbags.com/forum-archive/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1471

Mini Morsbag Instructions 12

Stuffing back into mini-bag 13

Handi-Morsbags 14

4) Pennywill invented a bag with Velcro and a strap –
    https://morsbags.com/forum-archive/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=781

This isn’t a morsbag, but it gave us some ideas….
    https://morsbags.com/forum-archive/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2246

I’d be interested to see if you come up with any more cunning wheezes Tarragon! 😀

Tarragon
    Tarragon
    Participant

I knew you’d have some good ideas!

The integrated pockets and mini bags look great (love the strawberry), but I like the scrunchie idea. I might make a little matching scrunchie for my bag (maybe even attach it?) and also experiment with the button and elastic loop too.

BTW this forum is great – I’ve asked loads of questions and always get really quick, comprehensive and helpful replies. Thanks a lot. 😊

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Thank you for posting too Tarragon 🙂

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Thank you Tarragon! As Offcuts says, it’s nice to have other enthusiasts to talk to! 😀

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

How are you getting on with ways to keep your morsbags tidy in handbag/pocket Tarragon?

Tarragon
    Tarragon
    Participant

Well, it’s been a while and I experimented with the scrunchie idea but it wasn’t wholly satisfactory. It looked fine but added bulk to the rolled bag and, worse, was a bit of a pain to make. And some of my elastic was not very stretchy so that didn’t help.

I’ve gone back to the trusty rubber band, but I’ve been having a look at using a piece of stretchy lace trim instead – bigger than a rubber band, so less easy to lose, and yet wouldn’t add any bulk. And a lot prettier too ☺️

I haven’t tried the button & elastic yet. I don’t have many large buttons in my button box so some planning is required first.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your experiments Tarragon 😀
    Sorry you haven’t found a satisfactory solution yet.

Kathy Kennedy
    Kathy Kennedy
    Participant

How big would that pocket need to be on the bag in the second picture, the one posted July 22, 2015? I might try that.

I have made a little pouch from 5 inch by 17 inch fabric. Fold in half lengthwise and sew the long sides, about half inch seam allowance. Box the bottom corners, about an inch. Turn the top edge over twice for a hem. Test that it is long enough for the intended morsbag (then adjust hem as needed), then I use one of the sewing machine’s decorative stitches to finish the hem. This fits nicely in my purse, and the bag stays in the pouch even without any closer. At the cashier station at the store, I pull the pouch out of my purse, roll my lovely bag open, put the pouch in the bag so it doesn’t get lost, and hand over to the cashier to use instead of the plastic bag.

Kathy Kennedy
    Kathy Kennedy
    Participant

Depending on your scrap supply, or is your fabric is one-directional, you could make the pouch (above) from two pieces of cloth about 5 inches by 8 inches.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Oh thank you Kathy, that’s really useful information. Someone once showed me how to fold the bag into itself but unfortunately I can’t find it. I remember there wasn’t a pouch, just the morsbag itself. I need to find that!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

That sounds impossible Offcuts!

turtlesavers
    Participant

I have found tucking the handles into the bag, folding the bag into thirds the long way and tucking the floppy end into the opening useful for me. It’s sort of the Marie Kondo thing…..

It Can Bee Gifted
    Participant

I love this idea, thanks for sharing xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.