Fabric Swap Group

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by beattie beattie 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

I am aware that many morsbaggers are also fellow fabric addicts, so I thought I’d let you know about a new Facebook group that has been set up by Tori of Butterfly bags.
    The group is called ‘fat quarter swap group uk’ and is open to any uk based fabric addict via Facebook.
    The idea is that, once a month, members will exchange 2 fat quarters (and a little something extra)with another member of the group. The little something extra could be some trim, ribbon, buttons or even a little something youve made.
    There is a different theme each month and the first 6 months themes are posted on the Facebook page.
    Please check out the Facebook page for more details if you want to join in the fun. 🙂

Thank you to Pol for allowing me to post on here.

butterfly bags
    butterfly bags
    Participant

Thanks for posting Sazzie and thanks Pol for letting us post here.
    I’m really excited about our little club and have only started it thanks to Sazzie’s comments, support and ideas. It’s OUR group Sazzie!!
    Xx

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Sounds lovely! I hope you get plenty of enthusiastic takers. Will you let us know how it goes – I’m especially intrigued by the “little extras” 😀

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

I have seen that Tori and Sazzie have started the page but not had time to look at it properly yet. We have been moving Team Leicester’s base and had 3 big events to organise, I have had 2 babies, another is on her way, and Grumpy has come a cropper and needed 5 hour shoulder reconstruction! And then there is the morphine knocking me out!! But I shall have a good look next week! I wouldn’t have been able to all this stuff without the dedicated help of everybody involved.

So I shall look soon but I think it is a wonderful idea and look forward to hearing how it goes. It is not really my sort of thing, I tend to use vintage fabrics for my work. A friend of mine is a textile artist/teacher and she recently had to scale down her studio and I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of some of her vintage fabrics. She has just been teaching in France and has come back with some beautiful french linens.

I think Sazzie and Tori’s initiative shows how social media can be used in a positive, interactive way to make links with like minded people. This has happened recently in Leicester when sewing teacher and morsbagger Julia (bobbins and Buttons) said a throw away comment on Facebook about setting up a social group for sewing enthusiasts. Well she did and it is growing and growing. Tori and to a lesser extent myself are on the team. In fact Tori came up with the name Sew Sociable. It is slightly based on the model of morsbags in so far as we are trying to keep it totally free. I have always found that because we give our time energy and bags for free people do everything for us free. In the hundreds of events we have done I have never had to pay anyone for a venue. It is a great move against capitalism! Again its success is mainly due to social media and the enthusiasm of the people involved

The downside of social media is it can be too immediate and stuff can disappear very quickly and this is where blogs and websites come into their own. There is a wealth of information and photos on this and the previous morsbags website showing the history and achievements of morsbags. I am planning to make a book of morsbagging in Leicestershire with the help of Beattie only I haven’t asked her yet!

Tori, if you want to run up some flyers we could give them out at the BTS

Tori and Sazzie, if one of your month’s is original vintage (not modern vintage reproduction!) I’m in and I know a few others who will be! Good luck xx

Tori, if you want to run up some flyers we could give them out at the BTS

Sorry if I have rambled, its the morphine!!

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

I do unashamedly pay people who let us use their venues with bags though!

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Here’s a link to the fb group page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/340356806141824/

butterfly bags
    butterfly bags
    Participant

Just had a little flurry of new members!

butterfly bags
    butterfly bags
    Participant

Our first swap has been a great success! There were just 6 of us but everyone was very excited and enthusiastic. After casually mentioning the group on a couple of sewing facebook groups, we will have at least doubled our membership by the next swap!

masterclock
    masterclock
    Participant

Glad it’s going well

f

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Sounds like fun! I’m sure the group will grow through word of mouth.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.