Coronavirus

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by ivybags ivybags 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MaureenHB
    Participant

Should we be giving out bags in the current situation? I make bags for my local food bank, but would it be better to hang on to them for now?

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I suggest you contact the food bank Maureen to check what their policy is, especially as the situation changes rapidly.

I’m sure that any bags you make in while morsbagging handouts are suspended will not go to waste, and at the time of writing it seems that the coronavirus is non-viable after 3 days, so a time will come when they are safe to give out again.

Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

I am planning to make morsbags during this time and add to our stock ready for handouts in the future. It will be a really useful way to spend our time.

Keep well everyone

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Thanks Agwen!

I used a morsbag to collect some veg I’d ordered and put it straight in the washing machine when empty, just like I do when I’ve carried meat & fish home from the shops.

Jacki Hebblethwaite
    Participant

As a group we have taken the opportunity to use up all our patchwork scraps to make Morsbags during lockdown. As Sodburybags we have now reached 447. Our local fruit and veg shop still takes the bags and all sizes are welcome. Hopefully we will continue to add to this. Keep well everyone.

jeanf.parkinson
    Participant

I have continued to make Morsbags and they are being used by the local hygiene bank to distribute hygiene and cleaning products to those in need. As the virus is not viable after 72 hours, the bags can be isolated for that time.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I believe that is correct, Jean. We’re so lucky that this nasty bug seems to self destruct after a relatively short time.

I have been sewing morsbags for exactly 3 years this week and tried so hard to get to 300 by the exact 3 year anniversary but due to having the first vaccine dose this week i have been too ill with side effects to get to 300 in time! 297 is all i got to!!! Stay safe everyone and keep morsbagging!! How do people source fabric donationsduring a pandemic though? Any ideas as i am running out!

Ann Montgomery
    Ann Montgomery
    Participant

Hi Claire, sorry you had a bad reaction and you didn’t make your target. May I say that it’s the 297 that matter, not those 3 still waiting to be done. So well done, give yourself a pat on the back for all that work and saving all that platic from going into the environment!
    My stock of fabric has ket me going but if I ever needed any, I just asked friends and family and also put a note in every door down the street! I don’t know where you are but if you are near Leicester, I can probably help you out with some. Send a message via Monty Morsbags facebook page. Best wishes Ann

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad reaction to the jab, Claire Bear! I hope you’re feeling better by now. As Ann said above, 297 is a fantastic number of morsbags to have made, so far.

I looked up your pod and found that it was registered on 3rd April 2018. That gives another few weeks to achieve an equally worthwhile target.

How about making 300 bags in the three years since your pod was registered on morsbags.com?

Hi there Ann and Beattie thank you both for your support! Pleased to let you know i made it over the 300 tally on 20th April and now my tally is at #306. Made 4 today. One of them has a pocket with the intended recipient’s name machine embroidered on the pocket. This is the first morsbag i have made with a pocket attached. Thank you Ann for your kind offer there to help with fabric, sadly i am nowhere near leicester, i know there are alot of morsbags being made in Leicester! My reaction the first vaccine dose was so bad i had to get medical assistance, my heart rate shot up consistently to 155bpm at rest! I hope the second dose will have less side effects. Do any of you use an overlocker to make your morsbags? Or do any of you use old handcrank sewing machines 100 year old type? If do, is it worth getting one of these? Keep morsbagging everyone!! Stay safe!!

quiltdyer
    Participant

Hi Claire Bear! I haven’t been here for a long time but I was shocked that it has been almost 2 years! A lot of distractions going on but things are calmed down now….. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with the vaccine. I’m surprised your doctor advises having the same one again, but I don’t know anything about it. I’m having my first shot tomorrow.
    Hope you are feeling well now – stay safe!
    Jean in Canada

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Woohoo Claire Bear! *Waves and claps in support* 😀 That’s brilliant news.

I’m sorry you had such a bad reaction to your first jab too. I hope the next one will not be so dramatic.

I’ve used an overlocker and found that it can be useful for the first side seams, but the threads need to be finished off by hand or the seams start to come undone. (Or maybe I’m not good at using an overlocker.) Now the darned thing needs re-threading – a task I haven’t tried before, that keeps getting put off, for some reason.. 🙁

I have used handcranks many times and have a few just because they are lovely things.
    We find that they are essential if you want to sew in a field (or a tent) with no electricity supply.

A handcrank makes a useful talking point – people come to you or your stall to talk about how they used to help their Granny / Aunty / Mother by winding the handle. You can usually give them a morsbag when they’ve run out of memories to share!

Handcranks are good for children or novices to try out (carefully supervised) as the machine can’t run away with you. Everything happens quite slowly and it’s easy to understand action and result.

Do you need one? No. The disadvantages are that they are slow and temperamental compared to modern machines.
    Advantages are that they are talking points, a link with the past, can be very pretty.

What do other morsbaggers think?

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

P.S. Thanks for your helpful reply quiltdyer! I hope you’re well after your vaccination.

Stay safe morsbaggers!

quiltdyer
    Participant

Thanks beattie! I’m still very tired and a little weak, but I’ll be fine. I have MS so I was prepared for it.

The good news is I made 2 new morsbags this week, using some machine embroidered samples left from projects! Probably the first ones in a year so the next ones will be easier. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.