Charity Fun Day at Newquay

Morsbags HomeForumsmorsbag chatCharity Fun Day at Newquay

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Krisaby Krisaby 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Our friends Tanya and Andy at Coastal Valley Camping (where we go from time to time to make morsbags on our handcranks with her happy, crafty campers) invited us to join them at a Charity Fun Day at the Newquay campus of Cornwall College. This event is organised by the students as part of one of their courses.

https://www.cornwall.ac.uk/events/charity-fun-day-newquay

It’s on Saturday 14th March from 10 – 3 and we’ll be making bags with members of the public, as well as handing them out. Tanya will be next to us doing silk painting. Wonder if it would work on bags?? 😀

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Have a good time Beattie and Masterclock 🙂

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Thank you Offcuts!! I’ve been making – and ironing! lots of kits, ready for the event.

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

Do you need any more kits Beattie? – I have some here…

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

That’s really kind of you, Pol, but I’ve just had a count-up after an afternoon of ironing and I have 62 kits ready to to – more than enough! Then I had a peek in the caravan where M/C stashed all the morsbagging stuff before Christmas when family were coming to stay – and found another boxful of kits all prepped and ready to sew! So we’re sorted for Saturday, and for more sewing at Coastal Valley, and several other workshops later in the year, thanks. 😀

I’ve been enlivening things by working through lots of printed cotton pieces given to us by Offcuts last September. I managed 6 “Dennis the Menace” kits from a piece of a curtain – gave them all plain backs as I think they’ll be very popular.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Its nice to swap fabrics!

masterclock
    masterclock
    Participant

Sewing machines loaded check
    kits loaded check
    thread loaded check
    labels loaded check
    needles,scissors,cards check
    promo materials check

Wish us luck for tomorrow!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Bags to give away loaded – check

Camera ready to load
    Weather forecast dryish but not very warm…..
    Wish us luck!

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

Hope it went well – can’t wait to hear all about it! x

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

Hope the weather held and you had a really good day with lots and lots of interest. Was it windy? You might have had a job to hang on to the bags if the weather was similar to here. I happily pinned sheets on the line in the sunshine but the wind was intent on unpinning them. I am sure you two were well able to take the odd gale or two in your stride! Wouldn’t it be great if you had some students interested in making bags? Anyway, I trust it all went well and we get a full report (plus pictures!) when you have had a rest.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Have you ever experienced indoor drizzle? We arrived early at our marquee in Newquay to find it raining inside!! It was condensation on the inside dropping onto us. M/C noted the warning by the path leading to the tent –

P1010006

The student organising the tent showed us the tables we were to share with Tanya and her silk painting, and then found us a whole lot more!! Great work, Sally! 😀

We set up our machines, kits and bags, then Tanya arrived and decided we’d be much better placed in the corner – she hadn’t made her lovely new bunting for it not to be used and there was nowhere to hang it where we were, so we moved the unsuspecting, not-yet-arrived other people and re-arranged ourselves. And a good move it was! One of the unsuspecting didn’t turn up and the other didn’t need a whole lot of space, so we had done everyone a favour – honest!! 😉
    Spot the difference –
    Before –

"Before" 1

After –

After the move

After the usual slow start that Masterclock used to fettle the machines which hadn’t been used for a bit, we got busy, busy, busy! Just time for a few photos.

Our first customer of the day –

"Rosy" bagmaker

And the last two –

Our last 2 customers

I often try to guess which bag a person will pick, having noticed that they almost always pick one in a colour that goes with what they’re wearing at the time. This family picked a bag that went with the buggy it was to hang from!

Bag with toning buggy

We gave out quite a few bags, but not as many as expected. This was partly due to the high proportion of children sewing, keeping us engrossed in keeping them safe.

Before we got busy, I got a few snaps of the other attractions at the Fun Day. Have you ever come across “tarp surfing”? They were using the biggest tarpaulin I’ve ever seen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28356801@N08/16628111989/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28356801@N08/16194305933/

I don’t know what they called this, but it looked like fun!

P1010022

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28356801@N08/16813134341/

The Marine Conservation had an excellent display, and an aquarium arrived later with a little shrimp, a clingfish (which I’d never heard of before) and a weever fish (which I’ve met twice too often).

P1010012

Tanya was offering silk painting and had beautiful prepared fabric for punters to paint and mount into a card, making a wonderful Mothers Day (or any other occasion) card. I was very tempted to have a go, but we were too busy ourselves.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28356801@N08/16194311583/

P1010029

They gave wonderful results – the age or skill of the artist was no bar to making a lovely card.

Anyway, there we are, a good day out, and 16 bags made! 😀

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

Thanks for such a detailed report – I’m v surprised you didn’t have a go on the soapy slide in a wetsuit Beattie… Some lovely bags, some not such lovely weather and more people who know about/how to make/own a morsbag now 🙂 Brilliant! 🙂

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

If I’d known the slide was going to be there I might well have taken my wetsuit and had a go, early on, or as everyone was packing up!! 😀

We’d have liked to see the demonstrations by the Search & Rescue dogs too, but were much too busy ourselves.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Is it me or does the toddler in the pushchair look a bit royal?

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

Oh yes Offcuts! I agree! What a splendid report Beattie. You did a good day’s work there. I can see that the corner position was much better than the first set up. The corner was more colourful – bunting always helps – and also I think would encourage beginners to have a go. The first position looked a bit “exposed” for a beginner. I don’t think I would have thought of that myself though. Experience counts! It must have been an exhausting day but well worth it.
    I am hoping this response will take, so to speak. My last attempt disappeared while i was in the middle of typing it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.