Can't search for a pod!

Morsbags HomeForumsmorsbag chatCan't search for a pod!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by offcuts offcuts 7 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Catherine Appleton
    Catherine Appleton
    Participant

I use an ipad and can’t see that there’s a way to search for a pod – I belong to a facebook page called Make Do & Mend and someone on there wants help getting started with her sewing machine. I thought a local pod would be ideal to help her (she could practise her sewing by making bags!), but there isn’t any way to call up a map with all the pods on, so you can then see where they are. I also can’t search by name, though that wouldn’t be so helpful, because of course lots of (most?) pods don’t have their location as part of their pod name. So how do I find out where there’s a pod?

I know that if I say on here, I want to find a pod near Sevenoaks, someone will give me the answer, but quite a few times I’ve had my pod members ask me if there’s a pod in a particular town, because they’ve sent a bag to a friend elsewhere in the UK, and the friend is now inspired to join their own local pod. They’ve looked at the website, but can’t see how to find out if there is a local pod. And my only answer has to be, I’m not sure how to find out, I’ll ask on the forum, which obviously isn’t very helpful, takes too long and becomes too complicated, because then the whole process relies on me asking for them. I also had a member say a friend of there’s had thought about starting a pod, but wanted to see if there was a local pod already, and again they couldn’t find out. So I think there must be a lot of potential new bagmakers (and possibly new pods) being missed because of this problem.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Hi Cathapple! I’m sorry you’re having problems. Could it be an ipad thing? I use a laptop and when I click on “pods” on the menu bar under the stats a map loads with a pin for each pod. Under the map on the right there’s a box to “Search pods” which finds all pods containing whatever you type in the search box in their name or location.
    Hope this helps!

Catherine Appleton
    Catherine Appleton
    Participant

yes it’s because I don’t use a laptop – in this age of people using their phones and tablets instead of desktop or laptop computers it’s just a bit frustrating that this glitch hasn’t been fixed!

Joby
    Keymaster

Sorry about this Cathapple!
    It hasn’t been fixed because it costs around £65 an hour to fix and is several hours work. This is the average hourly price of good reliable web devs. It did work for iOS devices but it caused them to crash safari browser so we had to detect them and turn the map off for now.
    We are aware of how this affects potential connections made by by baggers, it is on our radar.
    It’s not a ‘day and age’ issue, simply a priority of budget issue – we made sure the site functioned as a whole on mobile devices.
    We simply have no funds to facilitate this now but are in the process of looking for more lottery funding which is how the current site was achieved in the first place. We’ll keep you all posted.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Good luck with the lottery applications Pol and Joby. I know how time consuming it is to apply for funding, and every hour spent applying for funding is an hour lost in putting bread on the table!

For what its worth in my experience it is best to strike while the iron’s hot (literally!) and suggest to all potential bag makers that they register their own pod and start making bags asap. 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.