Bitsa bags

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by beattie beattie 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I thought I’d attack the growing pile of pieces that are too small to make a morsbag out of – on their own, so I started sewing similar width pieces together in strips, just a few a day, putting the light colours on one end and the darker colours on the other.

When each strip reached about 40″ long I sewed them together and made a bag. Here it is –

Bag 1 front c

Bag 1 back a

I still have a pile of “Too Small” pieces ….

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

These are works of art…. you should exhibit at a quilting fair! 🙂

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

That’s kind of you Pol, but I don’t think my stitching would stand up to scrutiny – wobbly, but strong is fine by me! I think we’ll keep the bag above, but I made a couple more this (rainy) afternoon. Both use bigger pieces than the first one of this batch.

Bitsa no 2 front

Bitsa no 2 back

Bitsa no 3 front

Bitsa no 3 back

It’s going to be hard to give these to people I don’t know! 😀

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Whoops, double post!! My finger bounced 😕

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by beattie beattie. Reason: Double post removal
    Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

They are wonderful. I have been saving the bits to make pockets but not all are suitable. I will start sewing them into bags.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Frank is the master of the truly random bitsa, I sew the pieces into strips then join them, widthways. He lays out the pieces on the floor and starts by joining the smallest elements and works his way up.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Why will they be difficult? They are wonderful!!

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Lovely bitsa bags as always – I bet they get picked / selected first

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

😀 Thank you all! I’ve made another couple of bitsas this evening, but not with so many bits.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Message from Mr Bo Jangles to Bitsa assembler:-

Its all about the yellow (Wassily Kadinsky)

Kandinsky Circles

• This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by offcuts offcuts.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 4 months ago by offcuts offcuts.
    beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

😀

Thanks for the hint Mr Bo Jangles!

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

I spot a piece of Royal elephant!

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Well spotted Pol.
    Beattie – quick question…. Do you line your bitsa bags?

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

“I spot a piece of Royal elephant!”

You do, indeed, Pol!! In fact you can spot two 😀 There’s one more piece about the same size left, to be incorporated into another bitsa.

I don’t normally line them Sazzie. Frank has been known to, if he’s joining fabrics edge to edge, which he does if the pieces are only just big enough. I use a felled seam, which is very like the more easily looked up flat-felled seam. A felled seam has two lines of stitching, flat-felled has three. I reckon two are enough for a bag, usually.

I do it like this –
    http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/KatePages/Learning/Seams/seam_types.htm
    (scroll down to the third type of seam) but I arrange the edges of the fabric so that the lower one sticks out a little bit beyond the upper one, rather than trimming it. Then I wrap the bigger one round the smaller one and sew again.

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

What absolutely gorgeous bags! I always love your bitsa bags Beattie (lot of Bs there!).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.