AT long Last

Morsbags HomeForumsmorsbag chatAT long Last

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by offcuts offcuts 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

It looks like it is going to happen! There is going to be SOME charging for SOME plastic bags! Still not a ban and even more frustrating only applies to retailers who employ over 250 people. Mmnn…… well what do we think? I think it is a start but the exclusions are ridiculous. Here is the DEFRA link for the facts,

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/resource-atmosphere-and-sustainability/call-for-evidence-plastic-bag-charge-for-england

Beattie might be able to find a better document but I want to post a bit about our plans!

masterclock
    masterclock
    Participant

Think there was something about this in the small print of the last budget.

“We will introduce a 5p charge for single use plastic carrier bags, to come into effect in October 2015. The aim is to reduce the use of these bags to help protect the environment. We will encourage businesses to donate the proceeds from the charge to good causes.”

Did not get excited about it as the charge is rather on the low side, but still….

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Well yes but I think people won’t pay on principle for something that used to be free so it doesn’t matter how much it is. It works in Lidl and Audi where I think they charge 5p.

I think the problem is the exemptions, over 25% employees etc but still……….

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I think the 250 employees is overall – presumably nationwide, not per branch of the supermarket, or whatever, so it will exempt family-run corner shops but catch chains. Does it apply to hardware, clothing, toys etc? Lots of people I meet just use their own bags for food shopping but don’t take them if they’re going out to look for those sorts of things.

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

It is amazing how the prospect of paying for a plastic bag has raised awareness!

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

Agree with the title… at long last… all fingers crossed that it makes a difference…

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

So what do people think so far?

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

The hysteria about it has been driving me nuts! Part of the trouble is being old I can remember when you wouldn’t have been so silly as to go shopping without a shopping bag or basket. Other parts of the UK seemed to have coped with the charge without so much fuss, or was the fuss just not reported down south? Anyway, if it cuts down the use of plastic – Yippee!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I was in a chain pound shop the other day and several customers were using their own bags. But the lady at the checkout behind me requested 2 bags – maybe she’ll bring her own next time.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

About two months after the plastic bag charge came in, Tesco reckons that the use of disposable plastic bags has declined by 80%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35013520

At long last, indeed! Now for the smaller shops…..

Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

Great news.
    Teaboy went shopping today and no one around him at the checkouts took a plastic bag.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

There is undoubtedly a reduction already. There was an item on our local news about how the Leicester City river and canal wardens are fishing out 80% less plastic bags from the water since the charges came in.

On a crosser note the presenter then said its ok to pay the 5p because it goes to charity……NO IT’S NOT OK!! Please don’t say that!

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Say Hi to Teaboy and Bernie from me Agwen xxx

Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

Greetings from Teaboy and Bernie. Bernie hasn’t been able to make many bags recently, not much free time, but the family are still regular bag users.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.