Let's get Morsbags into every local newsletter in the same month…

Morsbags HomeForumsdates for diaries…Let's get Morsbags into every local newsletter in the same month…

This topic contains 32 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by sazzie sazzie 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

I’d love some input/refinements to see whether you all think this might work – There are approx. 4,500 villages in the UK (according to Wikipedia) and some 92 counties. There are 50 states in the US and of course, countless other villages, towns and residential areas all over the world – so my idea is a simultaneous attack on all local newsletters in March by locals saying that morsbags exists, please get involved, please empty your airing cupboards, please make morsbags etc. etc.

If we all submitted a short piece about morsbags in all our local areas in the first week of February (to come out in March) it would be a huge local push to get people involved. We could write on here when we have submitted, or when it has been accepted/published so we could see where has been ‘targeted’ and see the results – I know our village newsletter is always keen for local community based content so I could ‘tick off’ that newsletter, for example.

The short piece could be – proactive – invite people to a morsbagging morning in a local hall/front room/school – contributory – would anyone like one of your free bags? – inquiring – asking for material donations – or simply descriptive – saying what morsbaggers get up to and to make it easier (as I know people are really busy) we could just provide a template if people just wanted to add their local details and have a pre-written piece.

We could all write to our 5 local pods too (using the morsmap) to ask them to write to their local newsletter so we really try to get as many places involved as possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here’s a link to some of our resources so far: https://morsbags.com/resources/

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Ooh brilliant idea! Our February village newsletter is due through our letterbox any day so I will be checking out the submission date for the March issue.
    A template that we could adapt would be good I think…

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

We’ve been racking our brains trying to think of somewhere that would let us have a space, central in the village, that isn’t booked up already & would lend it free. Not coming up with anywhere at the mo, but will contact the local newsletter when we get back to offer a free bag on request within a 5 mile radius. M/c was a bit worried people would ask us to send shedloads to rellies in the boondocks.

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

I don’t think you have to actually offer to host an event in a newsletter, more just let people know that there is someone making morsbags locally, does anyone have any spare fabric, does anyone fancy giving morsbags a go and need an initial hand to get started etc. etc. What are the boondocks?!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Boondocks http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/boondocks = the wilderness, remote uninhabited area, the back of beyond.

Readers of our local newsletter could be reminded that morsbags still exists and are still available. When Aggie Baggies was running we used to have a regular item in the local newsletter / advertising paper.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

If you did want to give out bags through the newsletters you could say the first 20 to email me………

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Brilliant idea Offcuts

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

oooh – I like that idea Offcuts – brill.

Shall I put an example template for scrutiny; then we can change it with suggestions and then email it to people?

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Yes please Pol, that would a great help (to me at least) I’ve just had the feb issue of the village newsletter today and the closing date for next month is in two weeks… :-0

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Yes please from me too! 😀

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

And me! 🙂

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

And me!

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

I’ve just looked at the morsmap and noticed there are two pods within a ten mile radius of me with a zero tally. Not sure how long they’ve been there as ive not noticed them before but I’ve contacted one to let them know about the handout day planned for 1st march and the Mother’s Day comp. the other is not contactable via the forum but it is at a school, so I will try to email then direct.

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

School emailed…. Fingers crossed

Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

OK, so here’s a draft – please suggest any changes here and then we can put in the resources section for general consumption and send it to people hoping they will send it in.

Can you sew? Do you have a sewing machine? Do you have any spare material? Do you like making people smile? If so, you sound like a morsbagger!

I have been a morsbagger in this village for X years and have been making reusable bags and giving them away for free to people in the hope they will use the recycled and lovingly hand made morsbags rather than a plastic bag. It’d be wonderful if even more people got involved in the local area.

Please go to https://www.morsbags.com to download the free pattern and/or watch the ‘how to’ and make morsbags from old curtains, duvet covers, tablecloths etc. or give me a ring on: xxxxxx if you’d like me to give you a hand making your first morsbag, or give you a few of the labels we sew on to help spread the word.

Groups or ‘pods’ of morsbaggers are stitching worldwide and have made and given away over 140,000 morsbags to date – potentially replacing over 73 million plastic bags – but I’d like to concentrate on getting everyone in THIS village supplied with a free, strong, unique, reusable, washable morsbag – and this is where I hope you’ll join in. Many hands make light work and as a morsbag only takes 20 minutes to make you’d be joining in making a lovely gift as a random act of kindness.

Please help spread the word about this non profit, community initiative in some way, or dust off your sewing machine, or phone me, or donate material, or ‘like’ it on Facebook, or tell a local teacher/guide leader about it… the list is endless, and so are the number of plastic bags masquerading as jelly fish in our oceans right now, ready for a whale to ingest.

Thanks, and Happy Bagging!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.