Labels

This topic contains 75 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by beattie beattie 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Pol
    Pol
    Keymaster

We’re running low and need to reorder. Bearing in mind there’s an origination cost of £35 (so small changes wouldn’t be worth it) does anyone have any feedback about the new labels and suggestions for any changes…

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I don’t have any changes to suggest Pol. We still have some of the old ones left, but have been using the new ones a lot. When we go back to the old ones it feels a bit “startling” – guess I’ve got used to the new ones. 😀

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

I have probably said more than enough on fb but I love the way the new label echoes the shape of the bag and the scissors and dotted lines indicate the bag is homemade.

Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

At our bag making session today we all agreed that the new lables are great, they are also easier to get on straight. Don’t change anything.

Daryl Cattaneo
    Participant

My pod do not like the new labels at all, they look pale and cheap, all 6 of us just said oh no they do not look as good. The old ones made the bag stand out and complemented it, we are sewing the new ones with 2 rows of stitches as I think they will fray in the wash. We may not buy anymore, we still have some of the old ones thank goodness, I will not carry a morsbag with the new label on.
    So if I stop adding to my tally (1121) you will know why, its a shame but we feel very strongly about them.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

I am really sorry that you feel that way Pickering Stitchers. I think there are two main reasons why the labels were changed. As you know Pol managed to secure a lottery grant for a new website. The labels were designed to compliment the new site. I loved the old logo (I have the tattoo to prove it!) however I am not sure it conveyed the idea of making the bags which is the main point of morsbags. The new labels do convey that morsbags are made.

The other reason they were changed was cost both to us and to Pol and Joe. Prices were going up for the long labels but the square format was more economically viable.

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Im sorry that you feel so strongly about the new labels Pickering Stichers – I personally quite like them, and agree with Offcuts that they echo the shape of the morsbags and compliment the new website which I know Pol and Joe have worked very hard on.
    At the end of the day it really doesn’t matter to me if I like the labels or not as they help to spread the message.
    The main thing to me is that by making morsbags I am not only keeping fabric out of landfill (and freeing up space in people’s airing cupboards), but I’m also helping ( in a small way) to reduce the number of plastic bags used, and by doing so helping the environment. Hopefully I manage to put a few smiles on faces along the way and make people stop and think about how their everyday decisions impact on the environment, which after all is what morsbags is all about – isn’t it?

butterfly bags
    butterfly bags
    Participant

Wow, thats quite a extreme reaction to the labels Pickering Stitchers and it would be a shame if the look of the label was enough to stop you making morsbags.
    I must admit that it took me a while to warm to the changes but now I can honestly say that I prefer them. I love the dotted lines which does, as Offucts says, show that they are handmade and I think they are far more interesting to look at. To be honest, even if I still didn’t like the look of the label, it wouldn’t be important enough to stop me using the bags and supporting a fantastic and important cause. As for them being more likely to fray, I guess time will tell. I wash mine regularly and they are all fine at the moment.

offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Absolutely! And I know Pol and Joe have also worked very hard to keep the price of the labels down for everybody.

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

Yes the price is also a very important factor Offcuts.
    I have to say I wash my bags regularly on a quick 30 minute wash as the neighbour I buy my veg from picks it straight from the ground when you want it, so it often goes into my morsbags covered in soil, so far I’ve had no problems with fraying of labels, old or new.
    I’m extremley proud to carry my bags with a morsbag label on, I hope you reconsider your position Pickering Stitchers as I think it would be a shame if you stopped making morsbags. I understand that nobody likes change – but sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture.

Daryl Cattaneo
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies, when we all hand them out we tell people the story behind them and I tell people I have not had a plastic bag for over 4 years from any shop.
    I can accept the shape being cheaper to produce, I just wish the font and colour were bolder as it is lost on a pattered bag. I am happy to pay whatever the cost as any hobby has a cost involved. We shall still make bags to give away it will be a case of is it a Morsbag or a homemade bag that is still very nice and useful, we will see when all the labels are finished.

sazzie
    sazzie
    Participant

It is really important to tell people about morsbags when setting them free, I couldn’t agree more, but it’s not always possible to speak to everyone individually especially when you’re involved in a larger scale handout.
    And what about the times that people post them through letterboxes or hang them on car mirrors, or leave them in offices or doctors surgeries?
    These are the times when the bags need a label.. So that if people want to they can find out more information.
    With regards your point about cost, yes every hobby does have a cost, however I wouldn’t want the cost to be so high that it deterred any enthusiastic potential morsbaggers from becoming involved in such a great cause.
    Without a label it would simply be a bag and not a morsbag, which even though just as practical and beautiful may not make people stop and think about their bag consumption and would not provide them with the opportunity to get involved themselves.
    Personally I cannot understand your strong aversion to the new labels, you wouldn’t stop shopping at your favourite shop if they changed their logo would you? I seriously hope you reconsider and continue to make bags with labels attached.

Krisaby
    Krisaby
    Participant

I agree absolutely with Offcuts, Butterfly and Sazzie. I do hope you will reconsider your decision Pickering Stitchers and continue to make bags with labels attached.

Joby
    Keymaster

@ pickering stitchers – the shape and design has changed but the material, supplier, inks and process has not changed in the slightest. The newer labels have as much chance as fraying as the previous ones, so I don’t think that assumption is a concern unless you have seen one do it?

The only thing that changed was the design element – so if any thing has cheapened the look of the label it is that and I for one am not fussed about trying to make the labels look expensive – we are trying to do the complete opposite so as to encourage people to get he labels and not like we are increasing the price of them on your behalf.

We are looking into combining the old shape with new design elements but this could cause the price to increase meaning less labels sold and less bags made which in the greater picture of things is probably more important than what we assume the effect of design change on how catchy the label is – most people receiving a bag will be told about the morsbag ethos anyway, or the label still does it’s fundamental job of tying it all back to the site for anyone who can read it.

We’ll keep you posted on plans for further labels.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Avatar Joby.
    offcuts
    offcuts
    Participant

Thank you Joe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.