Are you joining in with Morsbags SewVember?

Morsbags HomeForumschallenges and competitions…Are you joining in with Morsbags SewVember?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Two Doors Studio Two Doors Studio 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Tracy Cushing of Two Doors Studio pod made this suggestion on facebook a couple of days ago –

“I’m inspired on a regular basis by the lovely people who I am lucky enough to sew morsbags with.
    One pod member came to the last meeting with a fab pile of 31 morsbags. She’d challenged herself to sew 1 morsbag a day throughout August and the pile of bags was the result – yay!
    So, inspired by this and with Christmas fast approaching I propose:

MORSBAG SEWVEMBER
    – let’s each make a morsbag per day throughout November and let’s get loads of morsbags ready for December 🎄
    I’m really hopeful it will push our pod total over 1000 which would be a great result too.
    I would also like to throw the challenge wide open – which pods are up for Morsbag Sewvember?”

https://www.facebook.com/twodoorsstudiomorsbags/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARCC-6QM7lIFcGO6JH270O9KpaIyB2UzPcZekopOy7tD7hYzODwEVa3Dleg21M9xU3sDU22Y6dsS4uqB&hc_ref=ARTIiiLPht5wNOLefwyv_sesf8hLj9D_QOrCkqTyrTwibgtWZQxD0A70ro-A2O-SvPg&fref=nf

I’m in, are you? We’ll end up with a nice armful of morsbags all ready for the holiday season.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Day one is ending (in the UK, anyway) and so far 397 bags have been added to the global tally.

Here are Tracy’s TOP TIPS for a Bagathon Challenge
    * get a bunch of bags cut out and pre-ironed, pre labelled is a bonus
    * keep your machine, bag pile, labels etc out and ready to sew if you have space
    * a variety of fabrics helps to avoid getting bored with doing the same fabric over and over – maybe have a mix and match swap session with your fellow bagmakers
    * stick to one colour of thread and wind a bunch of bobbins before you start. If you run out of bobbin thread you can just pop a fresh one in without unthreading the whole machine
    Thanks to Tori, Barbara, Lynda, Liz and everyone who has shared their top tips for churning out a bunch of morsbags for a challenge like this.

********* PLEASE JOIN IN *********

The more morsbags made and gifted the fewer plastic bags will be needed.
    Any number of bags you can produce will make a difference, especially coming up to such a busy shopping period.

So if you won’t have time to make a full 30 morsbags that’s fine, join in anyway 🙂

If you’re short of time you could be a MORSBAG SEWVEMBER WEEKENDER, there are 8 weekend days in November so that would be 8 more morsbags – hooray!

Crafty One
    Crafty One
    Participant

What a fantastic idea! I missed yesterday, so will make 2 today, right now in fact 🙂

Crafty One
    Crafty One
    Participant

Just got 10 done which includes the 8 days I’ll be away from my sewing machine later in the month. This is fun!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

You may find making morsbags addictive, Sandra! 😉

Have you added the bags you’ve made to the global tally? Everyone’s bags have more impact collectively and that’s how a worldwide movement is born.

Crafty One
    Crafty One
    Participant

Yes, I do the tally thing every time I finish a sewing session. I’m lucky enough to have a craft room where my sewing machine is set up all the time, so having a bunch of bags cut out, labels trimmed and all the bobbins wound is a great way to increase production when there are a few minutes spare.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

I do the same. My “craft room” is a corner of the kitchen, originally intended as a dining area. Now it is jammed with sewing stuff, but I find it’s easiest to leave everything out and available to make bags (or do other sewing) at odd moments.

butterfly bags
    butterfly bags
    Participant

I’m loving this challenge! I’ve made at least one a day during November so far. Hope I can keep it up.

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

It’s only a month, Tori! Everyone’s doing brilliantly so far, and additions of morsbags to the tally are coming fast! 🙂

Agwen
    Agwen
    Participant

This sounds like a fun challenge. Only just picked it up and will pass it on to all of the Macs Bags members.

Crafty One
    Crafty One
    Participant

Just finished another 3 which brings my total to around 30 bags for November, although it could be more, I forgot to keep a count from 1st November. I love seeing the tally on my pod page increasing, and I challenge myself to get to the next page which keeps my production up. I’m on page 8 at the moment and will hopefully be on page 7 by the end of the month 🙂 Thoroughly enjoying Sewvember!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Crafty One Crafty One.
    Whissybags
    Whissybags
    Participant

Whissybags is a group of WI members – Crafty Foxes (Instagram name) logs the numbers and generally co-ordinates things. She noticed this challenge on Instagram and has joined in. Some of the girls in Whissybags have made bags this month but not specifically for the challenge. I do find making Morsbags pretty addictive and am fortunate to have a sewing room where I can leave things, cut out, pressed and ready to go. A few minutes here and there can make all the difference. I really won’t be able to keep this up in December, Christmas seems to have taken second place so far!!

quiltdyer
    Participant

Guilty of not keeping track from the first day of November, but estimate I made 70 bags during the Sewvember challenge, bringing East Coast Morsbags’ total up to 100!

beattie
    beattie
    Keymaster

Congratulations on making your target Jean! And going past it already. 😀

Two Doors Studio
    Two Doors Studio
    Participant

The effort everyone put in for this was very exhilarating
    Bravo everyone!

It gave a boost to the total for our pod and as of this morning we stand at 998 morsbags made, but will we make it into 4 figures by the end of 2028?

Watch this space …….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.